Thursday, August 27, 2009

STARRY HANGOVER



OOOHHHHHH EERRRRRR .... Yes, those are the sounds I am now making, as I sit here recovering from a shall we say rather boozey evening at the Starview Chinese Restaurant last night. And I wasn't the heaviest drinker there either, sticking to white wine. Some of the others didn't - they drank whatever was offered to them. Hate to think what their heads are like this morning!

It was a big group - 12 of us - who sat down to dinner in one of their private rooms, and Heavens knows what the other guests must have thought of us, it was that noisy. That's what I like about Penang (and Malaysia) - there were Chinese, Brits, Indians and even an American in the group - all chatting away and having a ball.

Despite moving from Burmah Road to New World Park, Starview has managed to maintain its clientele, and the place was packed last night even though it was mid-week.

But have they maintained their standard as one of the best Chinese restaurants in town? For Penang, I think so; we don't have many anyway. However, if one were to go further afield to KL for example, then they probably wouldn't stand out. The "Cheng Choey" fish was very fresh, but that was probably one reason for my hangover this morning: we were served fairly minute portions of everything, so there wasn't much to absorb the alcohol. That's also another reason why there are so few food photos from the dinner: they just served little portions to us!




Service was average, and when I popped outside to ask, at about 10pm, for some takeaway for my sons, I was told the kitchen was closed. But food kept appearing in our room. Minus a few points for that I think.

However, it was a great evening, but excuse me while I go and look for an ice pack for my poor head now ... OOOHHHHHHHHHHH .... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: