Saturday, September 5, 2009

I WAS IN EAST HOKKAIDO on WED NT





YES, I'M NOT LYING. I REALLY WAS. Only thing was it wasn't in Japan! In fact, this restaurant in Jalan Bagan Jermal didn't even serve Japanese food. It serves Cantonese fare, and very fresh seafood, and quite well too.

As a foodie, one gets really quite spoilt, being entertained for free in most of the best places in town. As a result, when I in turn entertain others, I can be rather fussy. It's got to be just right - not too expensive (I am but a poor writer) and yet not too downmarket and esp not a hawker centre or kopitiam lah! It's also got to have fairly convenient parking, and no corkage considering the amount of wine some of our friends drink (not me, of course ... OK OK I lie ... I just like a leetle teensy weensy drop every so often ...). OK I'm still lying ... !!

Most importantly, it's got to have good service and great food. We often use the Hai Wei in Tg Bungah, but I wanted to try somewhere different for a change. After all, one can't keep taking people to the same restaurant!




SO I thought we would try this place that I've written about before. Proprietor the friendly YEOH (that's him in the pix with one of their signature dishes a sweet-n-sour LOBSTER dish; I took the pix at the beg of this year) and his sister CHRIS did us proud. The food was really quite good, and the 12 of us polished off practically everything that was put in front of us: a delicious Four Seasons to start; then two veg dishes (I like the food in a few courses, not long drawn out 12 rounds) - the Sambal Belacan Kangkong was great; then the main meal with rice which included an excellent Claypot Fish.




On top of that the private room we were in had a karaoke set and some of us, with drink-loosened tongues, sang along after dinner. From the noise we were making, I think everyone had a great time. Thanks Yeoh and Chris!

I think the East Hokkaido is going to be one of our favourite haunts from now on.


No comments: