Wednesday, December 16, 2009

OH POOR ME ... !!!


AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! OOOOOOOHHHHH!!! URRRGGHHHHHH!!!!!

That, and others of similar ilk, were the sorts of sounds I've been making for the past few days, especially during the weekend, which was one of the most horrible I've had for a while.

It started on Thursday last week when I had to undergo root canal treatment for one of my molars. If there are any kids out there reading this, please PLEASE, I beg of you, take good care of your teeth, because the last thing you want to be treated for is this. It is an awful procedure and no matter how good the dentist is (and Dr Ng of Lam Wah Ee was definitely very good cos I didn't feel a thing) it is an undignified and unpleasant experience to go through. I sat on the chair at 2.15pm and got off at ten to four.

It was OK at first, and even after the anaesthetic wore off I was able to go out and meet some friends for dinner that evening. The problems started the next day - I woke up with the most splitting headache ever - reaction to the strong painkillers I'd been injected with. I was nauseous and sick yet couldn't eat a thing! It got a bit better as the day wore on, and I thought, "Nothing to it."

Then on Friday night I stood up to get off the sofa and something gave in my back. I could feel it go, and although I managed to hobble to the stairs, collapsed and there was nothing I could do about it. Luckily my hulking 18-year old No2 son was at hand (just outside in fact where he was entertaining a group of his friends) and helped me to bed, although this required a few stops on the way.

By the time I got there I was practically in tears, had broken out in a cold sweat and felt faint with pain and despair. It was really quite awful. The helplessness and frustration is difficult to imagine until you're in it ... It was a nerve thing, an old injury I'd had since I had my boys, but never before had it incapacitated me so completely.

Once I was flat on my back it was OK but helpless - I couldn't even sit up, let alone walk, and (although this may be too much information for some people) took nearly 15 mins to get to the loo - my husband had to literally drag me along to the bathroom with me lying on my back on a sheet.

The next day I hobbled to visit our Canadian chiropractor Steve Karner in e-gate near Tesco, who did relieve it to a certain extent, with some manipulation. But he did say it would have healed by itself if left for a few days. It's definitely on the mend now, and I can drive, and have been up and about but it still takes me a few minutes to straighten up when I stand up from a sitting position. Was even able to put up the Christmas tree on Sunday (blue and silver theme this year) but it was more as "Director of Operations" - the men did all the work whilst I sat and told them what to do! I should do THIS more often ...

However, overall, if this physical ill-health is a sign of things to come, shoot me first someone PLEASE!!!

Merry Christmas, everyone ... !!!


No comments: