Saturday, October 8, 2011


TODAY I REALLY FANCIED SOMETHING SIMPLE so together with a couple of girlfriends, headed for the Copthorne Hotel in Tanjung Bungah, where their weekend Taiwanese Porridge is on at the Hu Ji Chinese Restaurant.

I like the place cos it's casual yet air-conditioned, and there's plenty of parking in the underground car park which is FREE.

And although the prices have gradually crept up and up (but dishes have got fewer), it's still relatively cheap even for a small eater like me. The thing is although I don't eat that much, I like choice as it allows me to try a bit of everything.





Today, Chef Hung was telling me about something new they just introduced a couple of weeks ago: it's their "Fried Porridge"; a bit of an oxymoron but his version is just thick porridge which is then 'fried' in a frying pan with a few extra things added like oil, hey bee, soya sauce etc.




You can then add condiments to your bowl: cooked chicken, chicken char siew (they went pork-free a few years ago), spring onions, fried ikan bilis etc. I told them a good sprinkling of white pepper, together with a dribble of minced garlic oil, would really perk it up.




The Hu Ji used to do this buffet every lunch time but unfortunately because of poor response they have now cut down to weekends and public holidays only which is a shame, cos I like to have it there whenever I feel like going. There's not that much choice now, especially not enough meat items but there's plenty of vegetables, and a bit of fish and chicken, taufu and steamed egg custard. Hey, what do you expect for RM19.90 I think it is.




However, buffets can be a real waste of money so wisely they have decided to cut back. Do please go along, cos they really do need the support.

No comments: