Tuesday, June 16, 2009

GREAT FOOD, GREAT SHOPPING, GREAT PRICES




A few years ago I heard this joke:




A man was being kicked out of his apartment so had to look for somewhere else to rent and was asking round. His friend said, "Yes, I know somewhere you can get a great apartment, lovely view, and very reasonably priced." "YES YES YES," shouted the eager beaver. "BUT," the friend continued, "you have to like Chinese food because it's next to a take away." "YES YES YES," he repated enthusiastically, "I LOVE Chinese food! When can I move in? Where is it?" "Hong Kong," came the funny reply.





That was how I was going to start this post: I've just had a weekend stuffing my face with good food, at very reasonable prices, and managed to throw in a good day's worth of shopping with it. Would you like to do that too? YES YES YES I hear you say. Where, you ask. Can I do it too? Of course! ... in Haadjai!




It's true. For a short drive (2 1/2 hrs to border, 45 mins to Haadjai) and the price of a room (just RM100 per night no breakfast but clean and comfortable, aircon and ensuite), you can really indulge. I love it, although we hadn't been prior to the the last trip as we were put off by the violence. And having recently been, I realise now how much I missed it. So when our friends asked if we would like to join them, we jumped at the excuse to go again, despite having just been a few weeks ago. We had a ball.





It's not somewhere I would want to live in mind, as there's much too much hustle and bustle; coming back to quiet old Penang was a relief. BUT it's where I will definitely go for the shopping and the FOOD. After all, one IS a food writer ... !



The first night we met up with some Thai friends who took us to a gorgeous place opposite the university. The food was excellent, spicy and delicious, and beautifully presented - the Thai Otak Otak is similar to ours but sweeter and quite spicy.
Unfortunately they paid so I don't know what the price is but the second night we ate in a hawker centre and had fresh baked crab, Thai satay, Pad Thai (fried kuey teow), gorgeous fiery red Tom Yam with big prawns, baked fish, and it came to a princely ... 800 Baht - yes just approx RM80. There were 6 of us, so not bad at all.








And for dessert just head for any of the stalls in the Central Dept Store area - a HUGE bowl of Leng Chee Kang and Ginkgo in dried longan syrup (I couldn't finish it there was so much 'liao' inside) was just RM5.




As for shopping - I mean, what CAN'T you buy that's not half the price! From the department store (Central) to fresh food stuff in the markets; stuff you no longer get in Penang as we don't produce it any more like Kueh Kosui Santan (delish) and 12 lots of "knee chang" (glutinous rice wrapped in bamboo leaves) for just RM3. The work that is put into their presentation let alone cooking the food is incredible.
I was SHATTERED when we got back. Shopping, despite what people say, IS hard work! And no, I'm not being paid by Thai Tourism for this write-up!

No comments: