Monday, November 2, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM


LAST WEEKEND was a very busy and enjoyable, but rather pig-out time.

First of all bro-in-law and his wife are still here, and it's been EAT EAT EAT all the way - believe me when I say in the 2.5 weeks they've been here we've only eaten at home ONCE. Either we've been invited out or there are so many places to take them to try! And we have NO WAY been to all the places we were planning to take them to! God alone knows how much extra weight I've put on - I daren't step on the scales!! And don't even start me on how much we've been drinking cos I only drink when I go OUT ... and we've been GOING OUT every night ... so it doesn't take a genius to work out that ergo I've been DRINKING EVERY NIGHT!!

Have to say I think they've enjoyed themselves here, and who knows, we may persuade them to come out more often yet.

It was full house cos my own bro was up here as well to celebrate our mom's birthday, so we popped along to try the new Maple Gold Chinese Restaurant - now called Maple Palace. We had a private room with two tables of Mom's nearest and dearest .. including moi of course!



The place has been revamped and now gone upmarket, and it's all a bit more classy - including the food, which is served in individual helpings rather than the traditional plate-in-the-middle-and-everyone-helps-themselves way. No more fighting over who gets the last bit!

The starter was quite dinky and tasty: four seasons but served in individual plates. Luckily more and more people are getting eco and there's no more "hoo chee" (shark's fin) so it was mostly tang hoon - which is probably what they used to use before anyway! (Which makes one wonder why we bothered to kill those poor sharks just for their fins if we can eat tang hoon and it tastes exactly the same!)





There was also a very fresh steamed fish, and the roast duck was quite succulent, but by the time the birthday noodles (also individually served) arrived everyone was much too full to eat more than a token bite!
The final course, apart from birthday cake, was the steamed buns shaped like peaches ... but my Sar Ee (aunt) nearly collapsed cos she was laughing so hard she had tears in her eyes: she said they looked just like nipples on boobs. They do rather, don't they!

Happy Birthday anyway Mom!

PS I am now also writing a Restaurant Review for the Visit Penang website (www.visitpenang.gov.my) every fortnightly so do have a look and tell all your friends about it please - the first one was the Rasa Sayang Spice Market Cafe. And if you are a restaurateur yourself and would like me to feature your place in it please get in touch me with as I am slotting them in now. It's free!

No comments: