Saturday, January 16, 2010

FOOD FORUM



YESTERDAY was my birthday proper, so had dinner with family members at a place I have not frequented for a while, partly because the last time we were there the food was, if I'm frank, not that brill.


THE FORUM CHINESE RESTAURANT on the 3rd floor of Island Plaza in Tg Tokong was full that night because they had a wedding on. That made it quite lau juak but rather noisy, even despite the fact that we had a private room. But as it was mainly because of the fact that we were able to book a private room, as you will understand from my previous oft-heard lament, that we were there in the first place. However, it actually added a bit of free background music except for a few terrible moments when some young kids had appropriated the mike and were hollering "Dancing Queen" and other songs into it at the top of their voices. Thankfully, the professional singer (I think anyway, she was quite good but maybe it was only in comparison to the god-awful kids) managed to grab it back.


ANYWAY I digress. This time round, I was delighted to say, the food was mostly very good - and despite having to cater for a wedding dinner outside, they delivered it hot. BUT I had to go out and throw a bit of a wobbly cos I'd told them to HOLD the food halfway through as we wanted to play a game (that's another reason I like having a private room) and they said, "Yes, yes, yes," and continued serving the food. They soon stopped, and only served up when I gave them the nod. One of my biggest problems about dining in Malaysia is dinner can start at 730pm and finish by 8.30 - hey! I'm paying all this money and I'd like to enjoy it slowly and at my leisure! We're also with friends and family we may not have seen for a while so it's nice to be able to chat to them and not have our mouths stuffed full all the time as they keep bringing course after course before we've even finished what's on the table!!



THE Four Seasons was very tasty, great Salad Prawns, Kerabu and Taufu but I didn't actually try the Spring Rolls.


The Tau Tay was cooked two ways: fins and other extremities including the head deep-fried to such crispiness not one bit remained, and the flesh stir-fried: very fresh. I also liked the Spare Ribs and Mixed Veg which was sort of in a soup there was so much gravy! Of course being a BIRTHDAY dinner had to have LAM MEE which was OK - but have to say it was not as good as MINE as I would have used a lot more crab meat and pee hu (dried plaice). Still, the sambal was delish.

Finally we each had a piece of Strawberry and Mandarin Cheesecake from Traders Hotel - it was very good, but I could only have a teeny piece cos much much too full by then!


It was an excellent night; thanks everyone for coming. One of course has a reputation to upkeep, so the place I choose to not just eat at but invite others to partake of food with me must really live up to a standard, so thank you too to The Forum for doing me proud. Citibank cardholders get a 10% discount btw - although sadly this did not apply to the drinks which cost an arm and a leg!





No comments: