Saturday, April 24, 2010

CHYNNA IN YOUR HANDS



SO IT WAS BACK ON THE MOTORWAY TO KL AGAIN YESTERDAY, this time to celebrate my dear koko's (big bro) birthday. Although we nearly didn't make it, because we had a couple of near misses, once so close I really thought we'd had it. To the BLITHERING IDIOT who pulled out from behind a bus without even thinking to LOOK OVER HIS SHOULDER to check if there was anyone coming - BOO SUCKS to you, for nearly killing us (yourself and your family included) and at the very least causing almost a heart attack for MOI. I really thought we'd had it. Do you REALLY think that when YOU are driving, there's NO OTHER TRAFFIC ON THE ROAD? As they say here, "HEY, YOU TINK THIS YOUR GRANDFATHER ROAD AH?" If so then you're WRONG because there are a MILLION other cars which use the motorway, so please have DUE CARE and CONSIDERATION for other drivers please.

Anyway I digress, but make no apologies for venting my spleen. There really are some BLOODY IDIOTS out there, if you'll pardon my language. Like I always say, if you drive stupidly and kill yourself then please go ahead. But please don't endanger myself or my loved ones.

We arrived at about 5.30pm which left us just enough time to get ready (one must, after all, titivate) for the family dinner which had been arranged at CHYNNA Restaurant in KL Hilton, Sentral.

It is a posh place, no question about that, and we had a private room booked which was even posher ... you would have thought. Unfortunately there were a couple of problems we hadn't foreseen - my aged father couldn't make it up and down the stairs in his wheelchair (which btw they had kindly loaned us) so had to be CARRIED lock, stock and barrel, even when he went to the loo - which was the other problem. Most private rooms in KL have their own en suite toilet. This one didn't. He was really quite upset to have to cause such a spectacle because all the men in our party of 12 had to accompany him to the toilet and back! What a sight it was to behold!




The food, traditional Cantonese meets modern Shanghainese, was quite good, tasty especially the Sharks Fin Soup (before you write in to complain yes you're quite right, it's very un-PC, but it wasn't MY party was it) which was very good but it was served in an open mini "wok" so to keep it warm it sat over a little burner which was lit as soon as they placed it in front of you. Which was all very well except as the amount of soup diminished it got hotter and hotter and I actually burnt my tongue. Why didn't you blow it out I hear you ask. Of course it's not something one thinks about until it's happened, stupidly you might add, and served me right.



The wagyu beef was delicious, but service wasn't exceptional. I asked for warm water and they forgot it so had to be reminded; no one topped up my wine so I had to resort to BIG HINTS for it to be replenished ... one just can't get the staff these days ... (joke, joke).

Everything was served individually as is the trend nowadays, although the table was so big all the food had to be served that way as there was no way we were going to be able to reach for it, lazy susan or not! I didn't get a chance to see it but one of their gimmicks is the long-spouted tea pot wielded by an expert who is apparently a bit of a show-off.


They even had a young man all dressed up in traditional Chinese garb to say goodbye as we left.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRO.

No comments: