Sunday, July 4, 2010

GDiP2 - It's HERE!



Yes, after eight months of it hanging over my head, eating out practically every night and trying desperately to keep my weight - and corresponding cholesterol - under control, it's done and dusted. Great Dining in Penang 2 is finally out, launched by State Exco for Tourism Development and Culture YB Danny Law, who incidentally also launched my first book in April 2008, only a few weeks after assuming the position.




The event itself, as everyone knows now, was at the trendy Sigi's in Golden Sands Resort. Over 120 people attended, although I'm not really sure of the final count, cos not everyone took the goodie bags as they left. In fact, we were expecting 100 and had to turn down others who asked to come, which I was sorry to do. However, what I can tell you is that it went splendidly, and everyone had a great time. It really WAS the Launch of the Year. You don't often see photos of my in my blog but I decided to include a few ... after all, it was MY event!



The food was excellent, or so everyone told me, because to be honest I was really much too stressed out to eat anything. John Brock, Executive Sous Chef, (that's me with him - what do you think of the t-shirt - neat eh!) really excelled himself, and he and his magnificent team produced some great stuff: particularly the Fish 'n Chips which was wrapped in ... a newspaper article about the launch! Caused quite a sensation, it did.



The event started at 4pm with everyone tucking into the food and drink like no tomorrow: the Carlsberg Gold, the Angove wines (which were superb, btw) and the Evian Limited Edition Jean Paul Gaultier designer water.


YB Danny Law was bang on time as usual, showing up for once in casual togs because it was in line with Sigi's relaxed image. At one point it got a bit hot - I don't think they're used to having so many people in there all at once! - but the conversation definitely got louder and louder as people got more and more "relaxed". It was a great chance for people to network and restaurateurs to meet each other, and old friends to get together again. Anyone who was anyone was there - at least 8 or 9 GMs of Penang hotels including Desmond Hatton, GM of the Rasa Sayang, and Marco Battistotti, GM of g Hotel and Chairman of MAH. I was really deeply honoured; they all "hor wa been" (gave me face), as they say.


At 5pm Suleiman, Director of Communications for the Shangri-La in Penang, started the ball rolling and introduced Bruno Cristol, GM of Golden Sands, who gave a short speech. After that YB took the mike and then it was my turn to thank everyone.



I was particularly nervous because we were trying something different: we wanted to make use of the long "pond" in the middle of the room, so the book placed in the middle of a polystyrene fish which they had made specially for the occasion, then it was buried in the sand in the pond. Although we'd had a few trial runs beforehand, I was still a bit unsure how it would work out.



And I was wrong to doubt John, whose idea it was, because it worked wonderfully - something different! There was a drum roll as YB was reeling the fish in, then when he hooked it out the Comms Team let off some "poppers"! It was all quite fun and thankfully, had gone smoothly! I thought YB was quite sporting. When I expressed my nervousness, he said, "Don't worry about it! It's all casual and relaxed!"


YB then cut out the book, displayed it to everyone, then the three of us cut the wonderful cake, specially made for me decorated in the GDiP2 logo by the chefs at Traders Hotel, thanks to good friend Karl Karlsson, GM of Traders Hotel.




After that the books went on sale and I'm delighted to say that nearly 500 were sold altogether. Actually we ran out, as the printer only delivered the first batch of 400 so I'm still waiting on the rest, and the book shops are waiting for theirs! If you are planning on getting one - which of course I hope you do - please be patient. A lot of blood, sweat and calories went into its making!


It was after that that I was able to relax and have a drink as I was interviewed by the press, then people started to wonder off as we packed up and bade everyone adieu. What a day, but what a grand and successful day.

My sincere thanks to Bruno Cristol, Suleiman TAR, John Brock, YB Law, and everyone else who made the effort to come. You done me proud. Here's to Great Dining in Penang!

No comments: