Saturday, June 26, 2010

ARABIAN NIGHT IN BATU FERRINGHI




HAD A FABULOUS NIGHT LAST NIGHT, and all courtesy of Sigi's at Golden Sands Resort. It was the first of what will hopefully be MANY special nights organised by John Brock, their Kiwi Executive Sous Chef. And the weather, thankfully, held off, although having said that it was just as well it rained during the day cos that cooled the evening down considerably.


If you'd seen them preparing during the day you would have marvelled at how much they achieved; they really put a lot of thought and imagination into the whole thing, and managed to achieve quite the right ambiance because it the transformation was amazing - it was like happening on an oasis in the middle of the desert! There were canopies above and colourful cushions and carpets on the floor you could loll on; low tables and loud Arab music.



The serving staff were all dressed quite imaginatively, although some were so authentic I wouldn't have liked to meet them in a dark alleyway ... I could almost see them chopping my head off with a silent swoop of their curved sword (OK, OK, my imagination is running a bit wild!). You could almost imagine you were a Bedouin in a desert somewhere in the Middle East ... and I almost expected to see a camel appear in the horizon ... except for the fact that the sea was splashing away just a few metres from where we were!


There were raffles, an amazing snake charmer who mesmerised not just the reptiles but also the audience I think, some fire eaters who were unfortunately too far away for us to see but who were I'm sure good; even a henna artist, magician and a great band from KL whose retro oldies got quite a few off their backsides to bop away - including moi who was trying to dance away some of the calories I had imbibed.



Because there was a LOT of food, all Middle Eastern: donner kebab (which was quite delish) and barbeques including a whole lamb on a spit, stuffed vine leaves, rice, an excellent Moussaka, some hummous and other dips, breads, baklavas and other sweet puddings. I think John and his fantastic crew outdid themselves. That together with the free-flow wine (which was good stuff and not the cheapo cheapo plonko one sometimes gets at dos like these) and beer really got the party spirit going, I can tell you that.




There was also an interesting "Best Dressed" prize and 4 ladies vied for the position: to be crowned, they had to do an individual dance in front of the audience. OMG I would sooner have died but they were all very game and in fact rather good, especially the first one - but the last contestant was absolutely fantastic and really should have won but it was all in good fun cos they all won some fabulous hotel stays. I was nowhere near winning although I did consider popping a teatowel on my head ... !!!

It was a great night, and I can safely say everyone had a ball.


If this is a sign of things to come - and they are planning at least 3 more before year end to which I hope to receive invites again (hint hint) - then I can hardly wait. Well done guys, and I look forward to the next one!

No comments: