Saturday, October 9, 2010

LEICESTER CITY - MUCHO POINTS!






We've been here just over two weeks now and although we have still another 12 days or so to go I feel, sadly, like I'm coming to the end of our stay here in Old Blighty. It's been a wonderful trip so far, and unlike other trips here the past few years, I've really enjoyed it.

We travelled a lot before ensconcing ourselves here at a good friend's in Chiswick, London W4: arrived in Surrey, travelled to Loughborough, then we stayed in Leicester for two nights, as it was somewhere I've never been to before - the Midlands have always been passed through and never somewhere I really wanted to stay at! But Leicester was interesting, historical and old, although it peed down at times and was quite chilly (wimp, remember?) We even managed a quick visit to one of its many museums.


This famous football city has another claim to fame: their market is one of the oldest in the country, dating back as far as 1200s, and it is also supposed to be the largest covered one in Europe.
It IS pretty big, and what's even more wonderful is there is so much life, despite the cold. The vendors consist of all races: Indians - it apparently has one of the highest concentrations of Asians in the UK and won the Curry Competition in 2007 - English, Chinese and all kinds of other Europeans. Everyone's selling different types of interesting foodstuff including of course their famous Red Leicester cheese.


They all shout out their wares, "Just a POUND! All these bananas for just a POUND!" ... just like in the film Oliver! or My Fair Lady, and the produce is REALLY cheap - honestly, I bought TEN huge peaches which I thought might not be good but turned out to be gorgeous, ripe and juicy, for just ONE POUND. That's less than FIVE RINGGIT mate and worth every sen - or penny, as the case might be.

People complain the UK is expensive and yes, services and utilities are - gas, for example, has gone up 200% from ten years ago when I lived here, and accommodation of course is tres expensive - I certainly couldn't afford a flat here now, let alone a house. But other things are really quite cheap especially if you shop right like in markets and not Harrods for example! They have something called a "Pound Shop" where you can get things for 1 pound - and it's stuff which sells even next door for two, three, four or even five times that amount. I love browsing in places like that, cheapskate that I am.

I love it all, but that's probably cos I know I'll be going back soon and escaping the cold ... !!!



Of course whilst we were there I had to have a curry so we visited one near the hotel before the theatre - I'd managed to get 2 tickets to the dress rehearsal for "Hot Stuff", a musical which is similar to Mama Mia with songs from the 80s for just TWO QUID each. It was the Haveli, recommended by hotel, which was OK but not as good as one we had in Loughborough.


We also had the new Kingfisher beer which had been specially invented to go with Indian food, and I could see why - it was thirst-quenching and refreshing without being too bitter, with a slightly fruity aftertaste which suited the spices.




After that we walked to The Curve Theatre where we had the best-value show in town - it was excellent.
Although I'd not go back there again probably, I had a fantastic time in Leicester.

No comments: