Wednesday, October 20, 2010

PLOUGH PUB GRUB



I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S BEEN A MONTH since we arrived in UK, and tomorrow we are heading off again - and in all that time I've barely posted anything, shame on me. It was partly due to sloth and partly lack of time as we've done so much during our time here. It has been wonderful, and I look forward to our next trip here although when that will be is another question.




As far as food is concerned, I've eaten for Penang and the world it seems like, and have put on countless kilos ... sigh ... so it's back to the Wii again for hours a day I think. Just can't eat anything without putting on weight nowadays, and worse with this chilly winter weather; one just wants to eat more. Of course all the reviews I've done whilst here haven't helped, and on top of that I've wanted to try various favourite places I used to love when I lived here.



And of course all the DRINK, especially English beer, which although a bit dull and watery - they will KILL me if they read this - is such a favourite here you just have to have it when you're down at the local.




Like the pubs and their good old pub grub, for example, although most of them have gone "upmarket" and it's no longer the old "Sausages and Chips" or "Fish 'n Chips" or "Chicken and Chips", everything eaten with a great big blob of tomato sauce. No, most are much more sophisticated now, and even the ones which protest that they are still traditional offer much more exciting meals like The Plough in Effingham, Surrey.




It's a lovely old place, popular with the "wrinklies" (I think I was the youngest person there - that's an indication of how old the general population is!) because they serve good food in quiet, serene surroundings.




The Beef Pie was excellent as you can see from the empty plate, and all served in more attractive ways now rather than just plonked on a plate with CHIPS.




I also love the way they just write up what's on offer on the board - no need to print up expensive menus, and they can change it at the drop of a hat or in this case a swipe of the duster. And that also means the clients get to sample different food, especially regulars who eat there all the time.


However the Sticky Toffee Pudding, one of the most traditional English desserts you can find, was disappointing, dry with an overpowering taste of toffee. I suspect it was brought in although they denied it.




No comments: