Tuesday, November 30, 2010

CHEEKY LITTLE THING ..



APOLOGIES TO ALL AND SUNDRY ... I've been back nearly 3 weeks and have acclimatised, but apart from lying low because I caught a bad cold and the inevitable jetlag, even with melatonin, was just too lazy to blog.



HOWEVER last night I was invited to one of Penang's latest, and I just HAD to write about it because the food at the Cheeky Duck at the newly-opened Straits Quay in E&O Property's Sri Tanjung Pinang was excellent. Started by Hongky Paul Liu, who also runs an establishment of the same name in, of all places Newcastle upon Tyne in the UK, it is typical Hong Kong restaurant with exactly the same type of food and menu; from the front you can see the ducks, chicken and pork hanging in the window, just like in UK Chinatown restaurants. Even the same ambient smell of "ngor yong hoon" and cinnamon.




The place cost a lot to set up, and at 4000 sq ft is relatively big (and brave). It's fresh and bright, and I really hope they do well, although it was their first night it was packed and everything was a bit frantic but the words "controlled chaos" sprang to mind, especially as it was also raining outside. I'm amazed how busy they were; word sure spreads quick in Penang.


The roast pork is truly scrumptious, with just the right amount of fat, cooked to perfection which is soft and not stringy like it can often be here, and crunchy delicious crackling on top, served upright in squares and not the stingy little fingers that we get. It was awesome, and seriously, that is NOT a word I often use.


They've got things like an Asian Tapas list to go with the beers and wines, as the bar will be open till 2am after the restaurant shuts at 11pm. It's an interesting list of Cantonese delicacies: Marinated Duck's Tongue, Fried Cuttlefish, Garlic and Duck Kidney, Chicken Feet with White Wine ... hmmm ... my favourite is the Prawn Toast though.




As it was their first night it was a bit frantic but the words "controlled chaos" sprang to mind, especially as it was also raining outside. I'm amazed how busy they were; word sure spreads quick in Penang.

I can't wait to go back and try more dishes because I was TOO FULL of roast pork and other delish offerings to eat any more, but there's the wantan noodles, roast duck and plenty of other stuff to eat. Mmmmm ... However, they need to get a better grade of rice, and also their chilli oil, which is a very important part of Hong Kong food in UK and will be indispensable for locals, was tasteless and needs work on.

Overall though, they did well, considering most of their staff, with the exception of their chefs who were brought in specially from Hong Kong, are still very new and many are untrained.

I'll be writing about the many other new outlets in this place for a while yet I think.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Helen, how do i find you on Facebook?
I put your name in the Search thingie but over a dozen Helen Ongs came up and some without picture id's so i cannot tell which one is you

can you friend me?

I am Marybeth Choyce Rame