Thursday, July 14, 2011


In the words of the famous, sadly now deceased John Lennon, I'm starting over ... blogging again, after a very very long break. There were many reasons for this, mostly of a personal nature, and it has taken all this time for me to get going again. So to all the people who have been checking in on and off, my sincere apologies for not updating this site, and please forgive me but do tell your friends that Helen is "starting over"!




BTW humble apologies too for the photos - the other night, whilst waiting for my cousin at the Evergreen Laurel Hotel in town, I inadvertently and rather stupidly left my trusty old camera behind somewhere and walked off without it. Obviously someone saw me do so and pounced on it as soon as I was out of sight because once I noticed a lighter handbag and went back to enquire about it, there was no trace of it and no one had handed it in to Security. Boo sucks to you. It's an old camera and not worth much, but it was a good camera and I am sad to have lost it so unceremoniously after so many years of service. I am now waiting to see which one to buy but in the meantime, am making do with a very cheap Agfa which I bought for RM299!

I'd like to kick off with my visit to one of the newest eateries in town: HAKKA TREE in Tesco Sri Tanjung Pinang. It was started by DIANA and PEGGY, two Hakka lasses (what else!) who, between them, have managed to achieve something remarkable: a pretty, charming oasis in the centre of the noisy, blaring Tesco.

Their place is situated on the first floor and they've been hard at work scouring Penang for old items of furniture including chairs and even doors, but they've done a great job.



Of course the most important thing, particularly in Penang, is the food, and although I am not Hakka myself, being purely and proudly nyonya, and therefore don't know very much about it, I think that here they've also managed to get it right. This is because Diana's mom does most of the cooking.



The menu is not extensive, but then it doesn't have to be as long as the food is good, and right at the top of the list is the the most famous Hakka dish of all: LOI CHA (or however else you want to spell it) aka "Thunder Tea", that famous green "soup" that is used to "bind" all the other ingredients with the rice. Here it is made with mint and basil, and isn't as "medicinal" as some I've had before. It's rather an acquired taste and I have to confess it's not my first choice BUT apparently many Hakka people have gone there (probably because there are very few places in town which do it ... in fact, come to think of it, there are NONE now that Peter Lim, the son of the first Chief Minister of Penang, has closed down Hakka Connexion in Jalan Bawasah) have said it is very good.



I thought the Hakka Noodles with minced pork and Minced Pork and Salted Fish Patties were pretty delectable though, particularly with the chilli sauce made by Diana's own fair hands. They've also got Yong Tau Fu made with pork or fish.


Prices are very reasonable, and the place is clean, bright and pleasant. What more can one ask for? My very best wishes for a successful venture, girls.

No comments: