Friday, September 9, 2011

WALK AWAY FROM JONKER'S

I'VE JUST HAD A RATHER TIRING DAY - was up at 430am yesterday to catch the 710 MAS flight from Penang to Kuala Lumpur; had to see to a few personal things, then it was back to the airport at about 4 to get back here.

As I had a bit of time to kill at KLIA, and I was very thirsty so needed some water, I decided to stop by Jonkers Walk, the Melaka-style cafe near the A Gates.

It was a bit of a disaster really. Firstly, the only water they had available in bottles (not something I approve of frankly EXCEPT when I travel because no choice then). However, they weren't any old bottles - they were TWO LITRE BOTTLES. Now who needs that much water eh? Not only are you having to lug it around the entire airport, but also if you do end up consuming it all you will be on the prowl for the nearest loo constantly. WHY should they run out of small 1/2 litre bottles - surely it is sensible to stock up on them?

Anyway I digress. The girl at the counter, to give credit where it's due, therefore kindly suggested that she could give me some "air swam" (warm water), so I felt obliged to sit down and order something - the Curry Mee in this case.





The water came in a mug, not in itself a problem although I would have preferred something like a clean glass. However, this one had black coffee grounds floating in it. SO I beckoned to the waiter who came, took it away,and came back with the same cup - this time with ice in it. The grounds were still swirling about at the bottom. I called for a serving staff again, who took it away and brought it back ... BOILING HOT this time.

Then my Curry Mee arrived ... and I have to say it was probably one of the most unappetising bowls of noodles I have seen, if not THE most. It was dark therefore no santan probably, and salty, and the noodles (more like spaghetti) were "pong" (swollen) like they had been sitting in water all day. A few specks of pulled chicken meat floated at the top, with a few slices of fish cake and some sawi (veg), together with half a hard-boiled egg. The only thing going for it was it was hot (temperature) - it looked and tasted like something hastily knocked up upon order using hot water, half a chicken stock cube and a bit of chilli powder. A packet of Maggi Mee would have been more tasty than this - it was bland except for some spiciness and saltiness.

After a couple of mouthfuls I pushed it aside; it was not something I wanted to spoil my appetite with, so I left it. The serving staff must have been used to it, cos they walked past me many times and didn't even bother to ask if anything was wrong with it - which is telling. Neither did they offer to clear too - which is just poor service really.





So I ended up paying RM8.80 for a cup of dirty water which I couldn't drink anyway cos it was too hot. Must have been the most expensive water I've ever had!


It's a shame that this is what greets people when they arrive (or this is the last thing from KL when they leave) because I'm sure it's not representative of the kind of food one can get in KL - or in Melaka for that matter. (We will see, cos I am heading there for a food session soon.)

Also, the smell of dried prawns around that part of the airport is rather overwhelming. Something a bit more upmarket and classy would be nice really.

HOWEVER I have to thank them in a way cos I ended up having a really good Char Kuey Teow at Or Leng (Black Dragon)'s outlet when I got back to good old Penang. More of this, is what I say!!

No comments: