Monday, April 13, 2009

QUICK RENDANG PIZZA


As I've mentioned before, my boys love curry (which is strange as No2 wouldn't touch it as a child; then one day whilst on an Outward Bound course in Lumut, he had no choice but to eat it as the only meal available was tinned Chicken Curry - he's been hooked ever since!); in particular BEEF RENDANG.




Last week, whilst researching my (to be written) article for Star Sunday Metro's 2nd Anniversary in May, I was speaking to Eurasian cook Cora Capell whom I had featured before previously. Apparently after my article on her (and Lina) their business boomed (catch her at Little Penang Street Market last Sunday of every month). Anyway I digress - she was telling me her most popular dishes are Salt Fish Pickle (deaf coot that I am I thought she said "Sausage Pickle" and thought, "Hmm, sounds rather interesting. My kids may go for that!) and Beef Rendang. You know one of those occasions when a bell rings in your head? Well, it did in mine so I thought, "Why not save yourself some bother Helen - instead of cooking it, ORDER some from her?" So I did - two sort of 300-400gm containers for RM40. Not too cheap but not expensive either, considering the trouble of making the rempah, frying it then simmering it etc.




We had that for dinner last night after returning from Taiping, and No.1 Son cooked the rice (ya, it is after all just using rice cooker - but it does take some knack to add just the right amount of water!) and we all tucked in. Not bad at all, but not Malay Beef Rendang - after all, it's Eurasian! But delicious.




There was some left-over this morning and guess what No.2 son did? Toasted some sliced muffins, lined each with cheddar and piled the rendang on top. It doesn't look that great, but he absolutely adores the stuff, and in fact, it's really just like a quick Rendang Pizza! (Make it even more so by giving it a quick zap in the microwave oven.)

No comments: