Monday, October 26, 2009

I WAS GUTTED ....



... that I couldn't make it to the launch of the Hard Rock Cafe on Saturday night, because of a dinner we were hosting in town which had been planned long before I got the invitation. However, I gather it all went quite well, and many congratulations to HRC for rocking Penang. I can't wait for the next invitation to eat there (hint hint).

HOWEVER our dinner at the East Hokkaido in Jalan Bagan Jermal (again) was very successful, not least because of the food which was tasty and plentiful. I love the fact that their private rooms have karaoke sets in them, so we were able to sing along (although my Brit bro-in-law was aghast at the thought of having to get up and perform, which is not the case at all; it's just nice to be able to belt out old favourites with everyone else). And of course one doesn't scare the other patrons away cos you're safely tucked out of sight.

It's really been all go, with dinners and/or (mostly and) drinks every night, and more to come before they leave next week. Once they have gone I am DEFINITELY going to have to detox and fast for a week ... or well, at least a day anyway. The old weight is piling on, and my liver is probably saying, "Hmm, this old gal is giving me a run for my money."



Last night, for instance, we were invited to the RED ROCK HOTEL's Chinese Restaurant, and the food was typically Cantonese eaten banquet-style ie by course. There was masses of food which was well presented BUT I get the feeling the restaurant just want folks to eat up and go home, cos the food kept coming halfway through the previous course, so there seemed to be considerable pressure for you to finish up asap as the next dish was there, served up into small plates, and waiting.

There was a good "4 seasons" to start with, and the "Seafood Soup" was excellent - it tasted just like shark's fin, esp with a dash of black vinegar, so much so I wonder WHY people bother to kill the poor old shark just for their fins when this will do just as well - I'm really glad to see hostesses are ordering this delicacy less and less now). Same went for the Fried Scampi which was done the same way as "Hoo Chee" - fried foo yong style with egg served wrapped in fresh lettuce leaves. Very tasty.




The "8 Treasure" Braised Duck was not really my favourite, because the filling was a bit too stodgy, but if I'm honest it was also because I was, by this stage, getting quite full. After that came a Prawn Curry eaten with bread, followed by Brocolli and Mushroom (token vegetable dish), and Tau Tay cooked in two ways - I think this was a defrosted fish as, although the flesh was fresh, it had that certain aroma that only frozen fish has.






Desserts were Mua Chi, Pancake and red dates in syrup baked in a whole coconut. Our host and hostess P&W really did us proud, esp as everything was accompanied by some palatable wines and ended with a splash of Macallan's, that very Scottish whisky. Thanks P&W, for another great meal. AI YO how not to put on weight?!! The gym beckons ...


No comments: