Thursday, October 29, 2009

FEELING SPICY?




THE SHANGRI-LA'S RASA SAYANG RESORT AND SPA invited a group of journalists and food writers/bloggers to try out their Spice Market Cafe's evening buffet last week, as they've just introduced a revamped offer; instead of the BOGOF offer (Buy One Get One Free) it's now buy TWO and get one free. Still a pretty good offer I think.



Unfortunately I couldn't make the press evening, but they did host me to one a couple of nights ago, and I was really delighted to see that they are now one of the most popular buffets in town - and I'm not just saying this because they invited me. Believe me, I've been known to give them my frank unadulterated opinion about the taste and quality (never quantity, which is always amazing) of the food there, and it's not always been positive, especially when they first started three years ago. However, they are well aware of one thing: my carping has always been with their interests at heart. For that price, BOGOF or not, they MUST give the best. And they ARE really now one of the best in town. Not many other places give you such good quality food.

And giving credit where it's due, they have taken my comments to heart, and I'm delighted to report that the other night was just as good. Their fresh seafood is second to none - stacks of prawns and slipper lobster, literally - and there is a good choice of sashimi, Indian, local, and western, not to mention their "Theatre Kitchen", where you can select whatever is on offer for your delectation and have it wok'ed or fried up in front of you, all washed down with freshly-squeezed juice (although this costs extra).

Their satay is not bad, and the northern Indian curries are quite authentic. Of course their desserts are outstanding, and it's even got a die-hard pudding fan like me beat, there's just so much of it! I'm delighted to be able to be so whole-hearted in my praise for them, and I think they have become one of those places Penangites head for when they want a really special buffet.


The Spice Market Cafe's Buy 2 get one free is available until 17 December at RM104++ per adult (RM52++ per child), 6.30-10.30pm Mondays to Thursdays, so take advantage of this while you can - we are! This is in conjunction with the Feringgi Grill and their poolside Pinang Bar where if you order two mains you'll get a third on the house.

No comments: