Tuesday, March 23, 2010

AI YO ....

ALL THAT WEIGHT THAT I SHED whilst ill ... is now back and with interest. That's cos whilst we're in KL we are being feted by friends and relatives, which is all very nice of course. But it does tend to pile on the pounds just a leeetel bit. Ah well, rich man's problem, as my father used to say.

Actually I rather like the food in KL; although I still think Penang hawker food is still better (our Assam Laksa, Hokkien Mee and Nasi Kandar is d best) KL has a lot to shout about too. And their Cantonese restaurants are excellent, not to mention their wantan mee which is darker and fuller-flavoured.

However last night my cousin took us to dinner at their favourite local; a small Italian restaurant tucked away in Jalan Bangkung, Bukit Bandaraya. There was a birthday party going on which was a bit of a shame not for the proprietors nor for the celebrants but for the other patrons as it really was quite noisy.
However the food was really very good; and it's not often I say that. And which makes me wonder why if they can do it, other people can't. The menu isn't large (and quite rightly so), and it isn't TOO expensive (this is KL after all) but what was on offer was quite delicious, especially, as you know, my PASTA.



Dessert was a Cheese Platter, nicely presented with cut celery, carrots and strawberries all neatly laid out although there wasn't really very much cheese at all.



Their Seafood Pasta A La Opus (or something like that; featured above) is apparently what made them famous; it's not tomatoey although that constitutes one of the ingredients, but was very tasty.


In the afternoon I went for a drink and chit chat with a girlfriend at a pleasant newish outlet in Lorong Maarof in Bangsar. It's called Cafe Barbero and is apparently owned by former PM Pak Lah's brother. They do western food and snacks but their prime selling point is the very special Italian coffee which unfortunately I couldn't try because it was already about 5pm and that would have meant me staring at the ceiling the whole night.

And that's not the end of the wining and dining - tonight is the whole point of us being in KL - it's my father's 87th birthday dinner. Happy Birthday Dad!

No comments: