Friday, March 12, 2010

FEELING ILL

A FEW DAYS AGO I WROTE ABOUT HOW I paid for the trip to Singapore, both literally and figuratively. Well, that's 'cos not only did I have to fork out cash for most of the trip (ie the return flights and two nights in a hotel) but until a couple of days I was still suffering the after-effects.


Not sure what it was because it started the last night before I left: a not very nice experience which resulted in me shivering in bed, but suffice it to say that for lunch I had had my THIRD helping of Buah Keluak in 2 days: three different types of Chicken Buah Keluak; they seem to use it for everything, even in the fried rice. Now I'm not sure about this Indonesian fruit which seems indispensable to southern nyonya cooking, which is after all what I was researching and I'm certainly not laying the blame on it, but it does seem rather a bit of a coincidence.

How I made it back to Penang the next day is a miracle; I got to the airport early and slept the whole journey back under a blanket. Luckily my darling husband was there to greet me, and boy, was I glad he was there to take over my burden (bags and all) with his broad shoulders. I spent the rest of the day in bed but it was just too much: I ended up in hospital with a drip in my arm. They wanted to check me in but honestly I feel much happier in my own bed so they let me home reluctantly. Although I got better, I came down with a sore throat and cough. The spate of hot, humid days haven't helped either.



All social events, dinners, lunches, drinks and what nots, had to be cancelled and my weight plummeted rather dramatically which is, as someone who saw me recently said, "Nice, I wish I could," but actually it's not, cos it is very AGEING!! The older one gets the less elastic the skin is, rather like a stretched balloon which has had all the air let out. Yukh, what an image!!

So if you haven't been reading about me doing much lately now you understand why. In fact the Sigi's launch was probably the first thing I'd attended for a long time (a good friend's birthday dinner at Ocean Green was the other but that didn't count cos it was a personal event).

Aah, the things I do in the name of duty ... eat, eat and eat! Anyway enough of the self pity ... I'm okay now except a bit croakey. So look out Penang, I'm back!!!

No comments: