Monday, March 15, 2010

WRITERS UNITE ...

GLAD TO SEE THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE who actually read my blog: people have been stopping me and asking how I am. Actually, except for the slight croakiness still in my voice (which is actually not that bad cos a few people have described it as "sexy" ... hmmm ...!) I am almost back to normal. I hope!

So it was also back to "work" with a vengeance as I met up with fellow freelance food writer American Gayle Keck and her husband on their whistle-stop tour of Penang at the weekend. As I had just over an hour with them, it had to be somewhere which had a bit of everything to offer, so we ended up at New World Park in town.

It's always so interesting to introduce our food to outsiders, because like any other culture, one grew up with this sort of stuff: our laksas, curries, noodles, rojaks and what-nots is second nature to us yet so unique to people who are new to it. However the same is true of us when we land in another country: we too need to learn about other cuisines. Even when you live in a country for a few years it takes a while to get to know it.


Not sure what their stomachs thought of the assault, but as they flew in from Bangkok presumably the tastes weren't too strange: I ordered quite a few different dishes for them to try. Cucuk Udang, Assam Laksa, Hokkien Mee; a bit of Lor Bak (tried to show off how good I was to get both sauces into my mouth without dribbling it all down my front but guess what, they were pretty good at it too!), Chee Cheong Fun (hmmm ... that's the test of a true foodie - whether they are prepared to even try it - our version is so fishy with the black gooey hey ko) etc.

I will say this for them: they were game for anything, and tried EVERYTHING without blanching or turning white, and even went, "Mmmm ... I liked this," or "that". Even got an opportunity to show off my newly-acquired knowledge of how "chang" (zhong) came into being (as I've just written an article for Senses of Malaysia).

UNFORTUNATELY and this is the gospel truth: I charged out without any cash at all so my sincere apologies Gayle that I had to leave you and hubby to pay for everything! Hope you enjoyed it anyway, and look forward to reading your blog about your trip to Penang. If you would like to read Gayle's writing check outwww.GayleKeck.com.

1 comment:

Gayle Keck said...

Helen, it was a real treat to receive such a thorough introduction to Penang's cuisine from one of its chief foodies! Thanks so much for taking time out from your busy Saturday to give us the whirlwind taste tour!

Penang is one big fabulous feast, and I can't wait to return! I count myself lucky (and frankly, a bit jaded) to be living in a great food city like San Francisco, California - but Penang's food scene truly dazzled me.

Once I get home, I'll be posting my adventures on my blog at http://www.BeenThereAteThat.com. I also invite you and your readers to post food photos on the site. People from all over the world share their meals there.

Until next time!
Gayle