Friday, May 8, 2009

Farewell Worthy Friend






Last night I said goodbye to a friend who has been around for a while. And I although I shan't weep, I was feeling rather sad as I walked away for the last time. Yes, Peppino's Italian Restaurant at the Golden Sands Resort is closing its doors. I've just been told that due to popular demand (and mother's day, of course), they have deferred closing by one day and so Sunday 10th will be the finale, as they call it, for this stalwart of Batu Ferringhi.




I've had many meals in there - some excellent - their salad buffet was the talk of the town, and the lasagna was great, and at one point the Pasta with Prawns was mmmmm ... with a bit of added chilli (must lah!) it was DEEElishus; their pizzas were cooked in the special oven.
Some, well shall we say, were OK. I've done food reviews there for The Star and The Expat, and had a great time chatting with Chef Bok, who's been there since it started nearly 20 years ago. Their staff are all attentive and friendly without being irritatingly sycophantic, and I'm glad that they will be at the new place when it opens.





However, one thing was for sure - it was a lovely place and had great ambiance, especially when the strollers accompanied your meal with a few favourite renditions. It's a bit old-fashioned, and like a friend said, its decor is exactly like what a London Italian restaurant looked like in the 70s. That's as it may be, but it was cosy and the smells of oregano and thyme that assaulted your nose as you stepped in were enough to transport me straight back to that time!



It was a very pleasant evening with another two couples who were quite voluble, especially as the night wore on and the freeflow wine made known its presence. One couldn't get a word in edgeways sometimes they talked so much! That was a good sign though that they were enjoying themselves ... wine, women and song. What more could a good hostess provide!



Come August or September, Peppino's will be replaced by Bocce, which will be located in the old Sigi's by the Sea. Some of the more popular items on the menu will be back, but it will have a more seafoody theme, I'm told.




I can't wait, but fare thee well Peppino's. Thanks for the memories!












1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really love the place. Food was good and service was impeccable. Unfortunately they will turn the place into Premium Guest Lounge and staff will be transfer to new place. But at the same time can't wait to try out the new outlet. Do blog if you are invited to the opening. Cheers! :)