Saturday, May 23, 2009

IPOH HOR FUN? HAH!

I'm in KL being dutiful daughter and visiting Dad. Of course at the same time managing to go and do a few other things like shopping (I love Amcorp Mall at the weekend - it's got some great stalls and flea market in the basement) and having my hair done. So I popped into a hair dresser's in Bangsar Baru but she was busy so decided to go next door to the "Kopitiam" for a quick bite.

Shades of "Old Town" came to mind - they have a quite passable Ipoh Hor Fun so I thought this would be similar. Boy was I in for a disappointment. It was obviously something they'd cooked up on the spot using whatever was to hand cos it took a while to come - a few prawns, a couple of slices of cooked chicken, and even some CHOY SUM - whoever has heard of Ipoh Hor Fun with that?!!

It was then unceremoniously plonked in front of me. I was so disappointed I didn't even want to take a pix of it, and after a couple of mouthfuls left it. Not worth wasting precious tummy space on. And it cost RM6.90.

I took a taxi to Amcorp Mall and popped into their version of Old Town on the ground floor and there was a special on offer - curry laksa (aka curry mee of course) and drink for RM9.30. I ordered a Kuey Teow Laksa and it was actually not bad. Tasty enough and the drink was not too sweet and plenty of leung fun.

However, in Penang it would have cost RM2.80 or so and RM1 for the drink. That's why we rock, Penang! I miss you!

No comments: