Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

It's Mother's Day today ... again ... cos of course my boys, who are studying in the UK, where they celebrate it a month earlier, sent me loving greetings then. So today, I'm getting wishes not from my children but for some strange reason other moms. It's become like Christmas now, people going round wishing each other "Happy Mother's Day".



All the outlets and restaurants will be, I hope anyway in view of the recession, full to the brim with grateful and appreciative sons and daughters all wishing to thank their mother for having brought them up. As both my boys are away, I am unlikely to be taken out because if left to my husband, he wouldn't remember.



I remember once saying to him, "So - do I get breakfast in bed tomorrow then?" (it being a Mothering Sunday the next day). His reply was, "Why? You're not my mother!" Gee thanks honey!!



Anyway to all the sons and daughters out there - please remember to wish your mother, whose gentle but sometimes firm hands washed your bottom, smacked it if necessary; kissed your hurt better, cooked and cleaned for you, taxied you around, stayed up nights to make sure you were still breathing; shouted at you but then cried in remorse after; cooked all your favourite dishes whenever you came back to visit; still washes and irons for you when you do ... in short, loved, and still love, you and cared for you with all her heart - A Happy Mother's Day.


It's the thought that counts but sons, if you read this, mine's a large G&T!

No comments: