Saturday, September 4, 2010

LA LA LA LA BAMBA ... or something Latino sounding like that



IF I'VE SAID THIS ONCE, I've said it a hundred times ... well at least twice anyway. Sigi's does a grand special evening, going all out to lay on a really great do, and last night was no different.





Billed as "Latino Evening", it didn't start off too well, because as we know it had been threatening to rain all day, and finally the heavens opened precisely an hour before it was due to start. However, luckily for them, after about an hour of fairly steady drizzle during which time we were all ensconced under shelter having our pre-dinner cocktails, it dried up, so by the time we were ushered to the tents under where all the tables were set up, we were ok. At least the rains had cooled the weather down a bit. It was very well timed, really, cos after it all ended, I think it proceeded to pour all night again.




The wines and beers were flowing freely, and I'll say this for them: they didn't stint on those, nor on the Ginger Beer and Rum cocktail which wasn't exactly a "Dark and Fiery" or anything I'd heard of, although to be honest I would have definitely preferred a crisp, ice-cold Mojito with lots of mint and lime juice. Yummy.


Anyway, Executive Sous Chef John Brock, good MAN that he is, took it all in his usual pragmatic stride, and produced a solid menu of Latin dishes which proved quite popular. There were Secco de Polo, chicken braised in cilantro; Moqueca de Peixe (Brazilian Fish Stew), Chaquican - Chilean Beef Stew, Chicken Enchiladas and many more with impressive-sounding names, but my favourite, which oink oink me had TWO helpings of was the Swiss Chard with Chorizo Tart, which was really a pie because it was covered with puff pastry, as it was very good, cheesy and tasty. In fact my even piggier dining neighbour who was sat next to me had even MORE.




The stage was divided from the dining area by an open air dance floor, and a Filipino band was there to jazz things up. They were good, and the singer was fantastic with a great voice, but somehow the music didn't quite hit the spot I felt, because not many got up to dance when they played live except a few brave souls like moi cos I do like a good bop every so often, although having said that, I had to rest after each bout of activity 'cos not young any more lah.


The local "magician" they laid on was impressive, although like the MC said what he had to do with "latin" was a mystery, but he was entertaining, and so were the colourfully-clad dancers.

After the lucky draw people started to drift off as the staff started to clear up so it was diehards who stayed on to the bitter end. The next one is a Halloween Night which I don't think will be a big one like this but should be worth a shot - look out for it, although I'm sorry to say I won't be able to make it.

Well done Golden Sands and John, ma MAN!


No comments: