Thursday, September 2, 2010

LET'S GO!



I LOVE ITALIAN FOOD as it's such a cross between our local noodles and the deep, fruity textures of gorgeous red tomato purees and greens combined with rich cheeses. However, there aren't that many places in town which do it justice, as most of our western-style restaurants tend to just go for that ie western and not specifically Italian as such. Especially since Peppino's in Golden Sands Resort closed down, which was a great loss to Penang I feel, as the food there was good if a tad pricey, but then they have to be as the raw ingredients are too.


So it was with great alacrity that I accepted Chris and Denise's invitation to try out their Italian restaurant in Batu Ferringhi, which I had eaten at once or twice before but not for a while. As I always protest, I am but a poor writer (sob sob, bring out the violins), so off we trotted last night.

The restaurant, which started down a side street a bit further up 14 years ago, is now based on the main road going into Batu Ferringhi, opposite the far car park of Rasa Sayang Resort. It was quite busy, full of Matt Sallehs tourists and their families and a smattering of locals too.


Their new menu, updated some time last year, has some lip-smacking items ... ah, when I come back in the next life I want to have the ability to eat all I want but not gain weight ... ! so we had to stick to the favourites. Starters included various breads and a tasty Spinach and Ricotta Cheese pastie; I opted for the Mr Stroney (Ministrone of course), but wish I'd gone for the Clam Chowder they recommended, which comes in a home-made sourdough "loaf", which was excellent, creamy but not too fishy.




Their wood-fired Hawaiian was so good that despite being full to bursting point Mac polished off. However, as far as I was concerned, and I'd go back ANYTIME they care to invite me (hint hint) was the Linguini Alio Olio with Tiger Prawns - it was DELISH, which is not a word I often use because I don't get the opportunity to do so! It was tasty, the huge prawns were fresh and crunchy, and had a kick to it with the addition of some chopped chilli padi. Not cheap, obviously, but worth every penny.


By then we really didn't have much room left for dessert but of course in the name of duty I had to so we opted for some Tiramisu and Lemon Cheesecake which was again excellent, tart but not so much that it makes you screw up your mouth and melts your teeth.

Overall a wonderful review, which allows me the ability to wax lyrical about the place, which I like cos that doesn't happen very often so I heartily recommend it.

No comments: