Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A PARADISE FAREWELL ...



IT'S ALL GO GO GO AS USUAL, with preparations for impending European/American trip going gung-ho. SOOoo much to do and so little time to do it, which is about par for the course. There's the making (you've seen my show-off Aran jumper) or buying of gifts and presents for friends and relatives over there, including some curry powder and belacan.



I also have a good (English) friend who LOVES Asian food, and every time we visit with them, I bring along some of my home-made chilli sauce which he adores, and polishes off the whole jar within a matter of days. He eats it with absolutely EVERYTHING: roast beef, pizza, fried rice and even cheese on toast. His (English) wife always jokes that he should have married ME instead! LOL. So there's that to cook still.


Mealwise, we have had lots of invitations to eat out, therefore lots of dinners to repay, and last night we went to a mate's farewell party as they leave Penang for a few months' assignment to Beijing.


Interestingly enough, she had it somewhere I wouldn't have thought of doing myself, but that's the thing. Everyone thinks as a food writer I should know everywhere but I don't - I have to learn from friends and other people as well!



Anyway I digress ... it was held at the Paradise Sandy Beach Hotel, a cosy friendly resort in Tg Bungah. At first I was a bit wary, thinking it might be quite hot but it turned out to be in their coffee house which was air conditioned. We had an impressive long table, beautifully laid out, set up for the 15 of us, tucked away in the corner, which was quite nice and fairly private - anyway the place was empty!




The food was what their chefs do best - typical Malay food served "Hidang" style. There was Beef Rendang (which was, if truth be told, more like a Beef Curry); Chicken Curry, Mutton Korma, and a few other dishes served with some flavoured rice which was probably Nasi Tomato but I couldn't really tell.


It was all quite delicious though, and a very convivial evening which started off with some bubbly wine so you can imagine how the rest of the evening went! Really not a bad place to hold a private dinner, with good service and food.

What a wonderful send off. See you in China, guys!

No comments: