Saturday, March 28, 2009

(Fairly) INSTANT THAI LAKSA


Last night we were supposed to be good, so the plan was to do some chores which have been outstanding for a while (like pay bills and cheques in, return library books etc ...) then go for a swim (a gal's gotta keep fit), then head to Gurney for the launch of the new i-Phone.

Unfortunately, a few things got in the way: laziness for one ... the rains started, which put paid to any ambitious laps, then thoughts of having to dress up just to go and spend money was just too much, even with the lure of free food.

So I raided my fridge again, and what did I come out with? A fairly passable Thai Laksa, even if I say so myself!

When I lived abroad, rather like the Domestic Goddess herself Nigella, I always had Asian ingredients on standby either frozen, dried or tinned, and this habit hasn't died, so I had all the necessaries for the rempah: frozen serai (lemongrass), lengkuas, turmeric and even some chian hom (Thai Coriander); and from the store cupboard packet long-life coconut milk (a must-have), onions and belacan. All quickly prepared then zapped with my new Premier blender - it was quite good I have to say, and MUCH cheaper than the Braun I normally buy (I have at least 3-4 in the cupboard, but the blades for the blender parts have all broken!).

However much to my horror I realised I didn't have any CHILLI POWDER - used up the last lot a few months ago I guess. I like to use it because, apart from the luak (spiciness) it gives a really rich red to the curry that fresh or even dried chilli (unless you use a lot) doesn't have (although I know Thai laksa isn't supposed to be red). So it was back to the freezer again.

Tumised (fried up) the whole lot up in some oil until it "separated", then added some dried prawns (optional), a small tin of sardines (or salmon which I prefer but which I'd also run out of), water and the santan, together with a small can of evaporated milk after bringing to the boil. Just throw in a stock cube, a few tau hu pok (thanks again to my trusty old freezer) and fish balls (ditto), and there it was.
Eaten with some spaghetti - although instant noodles would have done - and a few mint leaves and Thai Basil (from my back garden), it was not bad at all. The colour wasn't brilliant, but it tasted quite good. Saved going out, and it was a great night in out of the rain. And I have to didn't spend a single sen!

However it's straight out to the grocer's tomorrow to stock up on some basic essentials once more I think!

No comments: