Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Not Worth it to the Power of Three (Cubing)


Whilst I was in KL a distant (but close) cousin kindly took pity on her country bumkin of a cuz and treated me to a lunch at Jaya One. We were going for Thai but unfortunately they were shut (sigh) so we decided to try Cubes, a Chinese, which boasted "Best London Duck" or words to that effect.

Situated on the first floor, its interior is quite a pleasant, nothing to shout about. However, they saw my cousin coming from afar, and recommended some quite expensive dishes and far too much of it, considering there were only three of us lunching.

We started with some jiu hoo (cuttlefish) which had been grilled till crispy then tossed with some veg - tasty but it would have been difficult to go wrong. Then we had to have their duck in pancakes, which was OK but there could have been more sauce and, having lived in London before, I didn't think they lived up to their motto. The Belly of Pork with Mui Chai was not bad (I know, I know, it's bad for you but only once in a while lah!) and some fried lotus roots in veg.

However they had also recommended steamed cod - and for the THREE of us they chose to serve us TWO large pieces when one, especially with the other dishes, would have sufficed. And it cost an astronomical RM88. That, I feel, was not on, especially when the fish, although very fresh, was bland and virtually tasteless. However being typically Chinese, we cannot stand seeing food go to waste, especially at that price, so we forced ourselves to finish most of it off. When we made a point of telling them they took away the remainder to "try" but still charged us anyway. For all that plus 3 glasses of water and a bowl of rice the total bill came to nearly RM200. They did however deign to give us some complimentary fruit for afters ... call me KS (kiam siap, kiasu .. whichever you like) but personally, I didn't feel it was worth it. I think it's one place I'll skip next time round.

No comments: