Saturday, March 21, 2009

Greetings. It's been a while, but things have been a bit hectic, although I haven't done that much except write, write and write.

Yesterday was a particularly busy day, starting with a trip to town to do all the chores I'd been putting off. It included a trip to the Star office, and whilst I was there I thought I would pop by Little India and see what little treasures I could come up with.

I realised I should go there more often. Firstly, there's the entire separate subject of our bowels, and the fact that there you can get the cheapest psillium husk in town - about RM11 for a 400g pack. This stuff is fantastic ... talk about regular! But enough of that.

For a while now I've been thinking of adding to my current Magimix Food Processor, which although a professional chef's machine and cost an absolute arm and a leg isn't that brilliant when it comes to blending or making the sort of rempah (paste) that is required for our kind of cooking. Not that I cook that much, you might add and of course you're right. However, it's always a nice to have, and I have been known to do a mean Assam Laksa ...

Anyway I also read somewhere that if you want a good, energising breakfast that isn't too rich in calories (bang goes my Nasi Lemak and Hokkien Mee) then a power drink is great: put together a banana and whatever fruit is available, some cereal (muesli is good), semi-skimmed milk and blend then drink. HOWEVER the important thing is the thought of doing it first thing in the morning is a bit off-putting, so the hint is to prepare the container THE NIGHT BEFORE, then all you do is reach into the fridge (a spare pair of sunglasses strategically placed nearby will help, particularly if it's been a heavy night), pour in the milk and give it a blast.

Anyway I'd been looking for one for a while and finally decided on a PREMIER machine (apparently the Indian equivalent of PRESTIGE) - in Little India they cost just RM190-RM250, with THREE different-sized containers and spare blades. No more excuses. You'll see a trimmer, fitter, slimmer Helen Ong from now on. ... well, at least that's the plan!

I also bought myself a set of SIX stainless steel pots with lids and copper bottoms (good conduction) for just RM80 - they would have cost at least twice that in an upmarket shopping mall.

HOWEVER I've not used anything yet - no time - so the jury is still out. Watch this space, although it won't be till next week as I am off to KL shortly to celebrate my father's 86th birthday.

No comments: