Thursday, March 26, 2009

FANTHAIBULOUS




It's not often I rave about a place, but this unassuming little eatery in Penang's Prangin Mall is not to be sniffed at. The last time I went must have been at least 2-3 years ago, and this morning when I was taking a friend whose hubby has gone abroad for a week to lunch, I really fancied some good Thai food (my fav after all).

So we arranged to meet there - it's called Thai Station on the first floor of the back part of the sprawling noisy mall. I prefer this above any of the "designer" malls any time, because it's got CHARACTER, although I know many expats fear it cos it's a bit seedy. That, my friends, is where you get the best bargains and DIFFERENT things - not just stuff you can find in any mall in any part of the world!

Anyway I digress. So we met there and, being hungry, I rather over-ordered as is my wont when my eyes are bigger than my stomach. Ah, but was it worth it! Especially compared to some other places I have written or complained about.

Between the two of us we managed to tuck away a Papaya Salad, slice of steamed fish in Thai sauce (delicious - just the right amount of luak, sui and t'nee - spiciness, sourness and sweetness); a helping of roast pork and buah petai fried in sambal, and even a Red Curry (Panang) and rice. EVERYTHING was really good except perhaps the salad which used a riper red papaya instead of the usual young green which is crunchier - but it tasted good anyway. Even my friend who is a good cook of Thai food agreed. Just writing about it makes me lau nua (salivas flow) again!!
Then we complained about feeling too full, and promptly ordered a Chendol and Mango with Glutinous Rice. Like my sons used to say when they were little and didn't want to finish their main meal but wanted dessert, "Cos it was the right shape"!

And the whole fantastic meal cost a mere RM59. I'd go back there any time. Well done, and may you forever keep that chef!

No comments: