Tuesday, March 17, 2009

NEGATIVELY POSITIVE .. or is it the other way round?

I've just finished 3 days as a judge at the Penang Battle of the Chefs. Wonderful experience, although sad to say as a very junior judge I didn't really do that much. But more about that to come.

Today I wanted to respond to some comments I've been getting from various parties about the poor food served at some places I've recommended.

Firstly, thank you for even reading my articles, let alone taking the trouble to visit the places I've written about. Any writer will tell you that we are all basically insecure.

Secondly, please let me explain that I do TWO types of articles: paid-for advertorials (Star Metro North) and others. As far as the former is concerned, they are not recommendations per se, so I cannot write my true opinion. HOWEVER regular readers read between the lines, and know that I will not rave about something if it's not good. I consider it my job just to tell you the place exists. Having said that I always try to let the proprietor know if I don't think it's up to scratch. Whether they choose to do something about it is their prerogative: generally they will try and improve, but you'll be surprised at the number who think they know best and refuse to change their recipe/taste/menu etc.

The other category is in my blog like what you are reading now and my fortnightly column in Star Sunday Metro. Here, nobody pays for any write-up, and it is where I have the leeway to write, although if truth be told I can still not be too frank as it could mean whether a place survives or not. And like I always say, Penang is a small place. I want to be welcomed when I visit an establishment, not have the door slammed in my face or, it doesn't bear thinking about, worse!

On top of that readers should understand that when I do a formal food review it is not incognito, and therefore the food is/should be the best they can come up with. And although admittedly they should not drop their standards for paying clients, sometimes, unfortunately, they do. C'est la vie - that's life.

I hope this clarifies the position, but as Star Metro North have now decided in their wisdom to use inhouse reporters to do their food reviews anyway, I am no longer obliged to always provide positive feedback on the establishments I visit - so be warned! I may now sharpen my claws ... !!

No comments: